Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous mineral widely used both in domestic and commercial properties. It was mainly used for insulation, fire resistance and as a binder in cement.
The three main types of asbestos: -
- Crocidolite - (blue asbestos).
- Amosite - (brown asbestos).
- Chrysotile - (white asbestos).
Common Locations of asbestos cement: -
Many properties still have asbestos cement in sittu, this however only poses a health risk when the asbestos cement becomes broken or damaged, releasing potentially deadly fibres.
- Asbestos cement on garage or shed roofs.
- Asbestos cement shed and garage wall panels.
- Asbestos cement drain pipes and guttering.
- Asbestos cement infill panels and partitions.
- Asbestos cement flue pipes.
- Asbestos cement water tanks.